Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Adventures with zippers

Remember the cardigan that I've been working on? It's only been a year that I've toted this sweater around in my knitting bag mentioned here. Not to mention, since it was my first zipper experience, I custom ordered two zippers before I managed to find the correct length. I'm not sure why I had such a hard time getting the correct measurement. I had blocked the cardigan before I took the measurement but I think next time I will sew everything together first. It is very important not to s-t-r-e-t-c-h the knitting when measuring.

For guidance, I used this blog entry and this one too - both were extremely helpful!

So, after blocking and sewing together, I basted the opening of the cardigan.


Then, I basted the zipper into the cardigan and had to make a quick trip my local fabric store to get the right color thread. Trust me, it matters that you pick a thread that matches as closely as possible.

Here's the finished cardigan! Now, to get a picture of my niece in it - I'm only 2 weeks late since this was "supposed" to be a birthday present! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails